Senior Data Scientist, Capital One
2020 - present
- Do research on fair and explainable machine learning, including internal user studies and peer-reviewed work on methodological issues.
- Educate other Capital One data scientists on best practices for responsible AI, in both text and talk formats.
Senior Technical Writer, Capital One
2019 - 2020
- Write tutorials, conceptual guides, and other documentation for a Kubernetes cloud platform.
- Write playbook for data scientists providing guidance on best practices for responsible AI.
Senior Technical Writer, Laserfiche
2017 - 2019
- Create, manage, and edit diverse types of documentation, including user guides, configuration guides for systems administrators, and API tutorials for third-party developers.
- Wrote text for user interfaces and provided recommendations on improving the user experience for these interfaces.
- Research software features and user needs by interviewing product managers, support, developers, and sales engineers.
- Promoted to Senior Technical Writer after 1.5 years for proposing and leading initiatives to improve user experience of online documentation.
Freelance API Technical Writer
- Write sample Python web applications and tutorials for MessageBird’s REST API. Click here and here for samples.
Editor, Research Square
Part-time, 2017 - 2019
- Edit academic journal manuscripts for good English. Disciplines covered include physics, mathematics, and machine learning.
Postdoctoral Researcher/Teacher, University of Southern California
2015 - 2017
- Designed writing courses for college freshmen, creating writing exercises of increasing difficulty and providing constructive feedback.
- Worked on data science project that predicted restaurant’s ethnic categorization based on their non-food characteristics. Code and analysis publicly available on GitHub.
Researcher and Teacher, University of Pittsburgh
2009 - 2015
- Independently planned and carried out multi-year research project, culminating in PhD dissertation.
- Designed and taught courses on statistical reasoning, ethics, and history of philosophy.
- Published peer-reviewed research on mathematical modeling strategies in quantum field theory.
Research Officer, Bioinformatics Institute (Singapore)
2007 - 2009
- Used C++ and OpenCV to create a machine-learning algorithm for tracking breast cancer cells in videos.
Research Assistant, University of Chicago
- Wrote Fortran programs to analyze data from a high energy physics experiment, estimating the probability of a rare particle decay.
- Won award for physics research.
PhD, History and Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh
2009 - 2015
- Conceived of, planned, and managed complex research project on mathematical modeling techniques in quantum field theory.
BA, Physics, University of Chicago
2004 - 2007
- Won prize for research in physics and two popular science writing prizes.